Saturday, March 6, 2021
(Online Class via Zoom)
Experience Level: Intermediate to Advanced Only.
Cost of Instruction: $ 85.00 *
Cost of Kit: $145 (2 colorways available) *
Cost of Kit Upgrade (14kt Gold Findings): $355 (includes base kit + upgrade)*
(limit of 15 people per class)
* All classes need to be paid in full at the time of registration.
Brick Stitch, Peyote. In class, I will be teaching Indo-Chinese Spiraling Box Stitch (similar to spiraling netted RAW)
"The Butterfly" Lariat Necklace
In memory of Pavel Friedman
The peacock butterfly is native to Britain and Ireland and can grow up to 70mm. They are nomadic and live mainly in woodland areas and countrysides. While beautiful, I chose to pattern this butterfly due to its spiritual symbolism in many cultures. Butterflies in general are believed to be the spirits of those who have come before us and it is thought that they come to visit us to help us through difficult times in our lives or when important things are happening for us.
Butterflies are also a symbol of transformation. The short life cycle of the butterfly closely mirrors the process of spiritual transformation and serves to remind us that life is fleeting. Other meanings of butterflies include spiritual rebirth, change, hope, and life.
I wanted to make this piece very simple, elegant, and not over-embellished. The wings of the butterfly are constructed using Peyote and Brick stitch, and the body is made with a modified Indo-Chinese Box Stitch (that will be taught in class). Its antennas are adorned with gem-quality freshwater pearls. The lariat rope uses a spiral of the same Indo-Chinese Box Stitch, representing the fence that divides the world we live in from the ones we dream about—and the butterfly rests there, bridging both sides. Using precious metal-plated seed beads, the rope is woven in opposing spiraling directions, giving it an upward feel. At the end of each lariat is a lampwork Murano glass bead made from Effetre glass cane, famous for its color and quality. They are hand-made using traditions and techniques that have been passed down over centuries from one Venetian glassworker to another.
While the piece looks very straightforward, please know this is an advanced pattern and uses almost exclusively size 15º seed beads. It cannot be woven in any other size beads without reworking the entire design, so please be aware of that before signing up for the class.
Student Supply List:
In addition to the regular bead board, students will need access to a good light, magnifiers, chain nose pliers, round nose pliers, and wire cutters.
If you can’t use thread, then 4# fireline or 6# nanofil can be substituted. This will not be included in the kit and you must supply your own.
Note: 6# fireline won’t work for this project.
Store policies regarding Designer Series and Guest Instructor Workshops
- All workshops require pre-registration, walk-ins will not be accepted.
- Workshops MUST be paid for at the time of registration. Please do not email us to register for these workshops. All registrations and payments must be made over the phone by calling 240-456-4568 or by registering in person at the store.
- All kits may be purchased directly from the instructor on the day of your workshop.
- Coupons may not be used for Designer Series and Guest Instructor workshops.
- If you miss or cannot make a workshop for which you are registered, you will be given credit that can be applied to another class or store merchandise. However, because we pay guest instructors for a minimum number of students, if you were included in that minimum required number, no money will be refunded and no credit will be given. In any case, 48 hours notice of cancellation is required to receive any refund or credit. Cancellations must be made by calling the store, 240-456-4568, or by stopping by the store in person. Cancellation requests received via email will not be accepted.
- If you are registered for a workshop and cannot attend, we cannot give a refund for any reason unless the class is filled and there is someone on the waiting list who can take your place. If you can find someone to replace you in the class, that is fine also.
- ** A non-refundable $25 deposit is needed at the time of registration. Please check your schedule and skill level before securing your seat. The balance is due the Wednesday prior to the event and if I don't see or hear from you prior to the event the remaining balance will be charged to the credit card used for the deposit.
Bead Soup must enforce these policies due to the high cost of bringing such high profile instructors to the shop.
Thank you for your understanding.